Talking With Your Doctor
Chronic ITP affects different people in different ways.1 Telling your doctor the right information and asking the right questions will help you both talk about different treatments and to choose the right treatment plan for you.
Things to tell your doctor
Here are some things your doctor needs to know in order to choose the right ITP treatment for you:
- Your entire medical history, including other chronic health conditions you have
- What medications you take
- All over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements you are taking
- The physical activities you participate in at work and in your leisure time
- Any upcoming medical procedures (eg, dentistry, minor surgery, major surgery)
- Previous or current ITP symptoms including any platelet count history
- Previous or current ITP treatment-related side effects
A complete medical history is important because any conditions you have—and the treatments you receive for them—may affect your ITP treatment plan. You should also tell your doctor about the physical activities you participate in. One consideration for designing a treatment plan is how active you are.
ITP treatments: Questions to ask your doctor
Ask your doctor the following questions about your ITP treatment plan options, including Nplate®, so that you have the facts you need. Download the discussion guide and take it to your next doctor visit.
Some questions about ITP Treatments
- Based on my symptoms and medical history, what are my ITP treatment options?
- How do these treatments work?
- What are the risks and benefits of these treatments?
- What side effects might these treatments have?
- Are these short-term or long-term treatments?
- Are these treatments FDA approved for chronic ITP?
- How often will I need to get these treatments?
- How long before I know if these treatments are working?
- Will I still need to take other ITP medications?
- Can I still take my other current medications or nutritional supplements?
- Are there any restrictions on what I can eat or drink?
- Do these treatments have patient support programs to help me with costs?
Questions about Nplate®
- Is Nplate® right for me?
- What are the most common side effects of Nplate®?
- How long will it be before I know the treatment is working?
- How frequently do I need to receive this treatment?
- How long will I need to stay on this treatment?
- Will my Nplate® dose change?
- How often do I have to get my platelet counts checked when first starting Nplate®? How often do I have my platelet counts checked once I have a stable platelet count?
- Are there any symptoms or problems I might have during treatment that I should immediately tell my doctor about?